Winner of Great British Menu and Head Chef at Marcus Wareing’s restaurant The Berkeley, Mark Froydenlund is just the man to ask when it comes to trying out a new recipe. Here he shares all the steps for the perfect beetroot tart to add to your festive repertoire – great for a cosy night in or an intimate Christmas dinner party...
- 1kg red beetroot
- 250g malt vinegar
- 250g water
- 175g caster sugar
- x4 star anise
- 10g juniper
- x2 red onion, finely sliced
- 75g butter
- Puff pastry sheet
- Peel beetroot, cut into cylinders.
- Slice on mandolin, reserve all trimmings and peelings for a puree.
- Toast the spices.
- Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Leave to chill.
- Once fully chilled, add the beetroot and marinade for 24 hours.
- Sweat the onions in butter and season.
- Drain the beetroots, and add liquor to the onions.
- Simmer to reduce and create a sticky onion 'marmalade'.
- Blind bake the puff pastry.
- Spread the onion marmalade, layer the beets on top, seasoning each layer.
- Bake at 180C.