December 20, 2021
BEETROOT PICKLE TART RECIPE BY CHEF MARK FROYDENLUND home
Winner of Great British Menu and Head Chef at Marcus Wareing’s restaurant The Berkeley, Mark Froydenlund is just the man to ask when it comes to trying out a new recipe. Here he shares all the steps for the perfect beetroot tart to add to your festive repertoire – great for a cosy night in or an intimate Christmas dinner party...
- 1kg red beetroot
- 250g malt vinegar
- 250g water
- 175g caster sugar
- x4 star anise
- 10g juniper
- x2 red onion, finely sliced
- 75g butter
- Puff pastry sheet
- Peel beetroot, cut into cylinders.
- Slice on mandolin, reserve all trimmings and peelings for a puree.
- Toast the spices.
- Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Leave to chill.
- Once fully chilled, add the beetroot and marinade for 24 hours.
- Sweat the onions in butter and season.
- Drain the beetroots, and add liquor to the onions.
- Simmer to reduce and create a sticky onion 'marmalade'.
- Blind bake the puff pastry.
- Spread the onion marmalade, layer the beets on top, seasoning each layer.
- Bake at 180C.