Best Travel Wash Bags for Women: Tips and Must-haves
There is an endless array of travel wash bags for women, including small bags to carry your overnight essentials, larger bags for a quick weekend getaway or fold-out models for an extended holiday. Regardless of where you’re going, there are some key characteristics you should look for in a travel wash bag.
Below you’ll find tips to selecting the best travel wash bags for women, as well as must-haves that you hadn’t considered.
Choosing the Best Travel Wash Bags for Women
When selecting a travel wash bag, you should consider how long you will spend away and what beauty essentials you can’t live without. The key to a great wash bag is knowing that your beauty routine does not have to be interrupted just because you’re away from home. Travel wash bags for women come in all shapes and sizes, from simple bags to carry your travel size toiletries to larger fold-out models that can accommodate full-sized products, brushes, make-up, and anything else you might need to look you best.
The following are some characteristics to consider when selecting travel wash bags for women:
- Size – a travel wash bag should easily fit in your luggage or carry-on if you’re traveling by plane
- Material – it should be easy to clean and waterproof if you’re storing your wash bag with your clothes.
- Airline-friendly - if you’re traveling by plane, it is best to choose a clear, carry-on friendly wash bag that complies with airline regulations, so you don’t have to unpack all your products before boarding.
- Compartments – a great travel wash bag should have enough compartments, so you don’t have to scramble to find what you need.
- Closure – your travel wash bag should close properly so your products don’t spill in your luggage, damaging your clothes or electronics.
Quick and Easy Travel Wash Bag Organization Tips
According to Kira Nasrat, celebrity makeup artist, when it comes to travel wash bags for women, less is more. You should only pack your essentials and decide what you will need day to day. There is no need to pack a 20-shade makeup palette for a three-day weekend. Nasrat, for example, simply carries a lip balm, concealer, eyeliner, blush, retoucher, and blotting papers.
The following tips can help you get your travel wash bag organized:
- Make a List of Must-Have Toiletries – think your daily routine through and select your toiletries accordingly. You can also use a printable travel checklist, like the one available at smartertravel.com.
- Check for Items You May Already Have – there is no point in purchasing items you may already have. For example, if your dentist has given you travel size toothpaste or floss, add them to your wash bag. Just be sure that if you travel by plane that the items conform to the size allowances. You are allowed to bring a bag of liquids, gels and creams in your carry-on. These must be in travel-sized containers that are 100 millilitres or less per item.
- Stock Up on Travel Size Items - since this most certainly won’t be your last trip, when purchasing travel size items, buy extras to keep as replacements, such as travel size deodorants, body wash or toothpaste. Also, you can purchase a convenient travel kit, such as the Travel-Friendly Essential Kit by Malin+Goetz, which includes six travel size bottles of refreshing and hydrating face, body and hair products that come in a handy waterproof pouch to keep separate from your makeup. These luxury formulas are both gentle and effective, as well as residue-free and non-irritating. The kit includes a grapefruit face cleanser, a vitamin e face travel size moisturiser, a bergamot body wash, a vitamin b5 body moisturiser, a peppermint shampoo, and a cilantro hair conditioner.
- Use Reusable Travel-Friendly Bottles –A Little Find features all products in convenient travel sizes, but if you have a favourite shampoo or conditioner, consider buying a 3 oz. reusable bottle that you can fill before heading out. This is not only cost-effective but also environmentally friendly.
- Choose Double Duty Products – often products perform double duty, such as moisturisers with sunscreen, like the Daily Moisturiser - Broad Spectrum SPF35 by Skin Laundry, which contains sun protection as well as mild and moisturising extracts that soothe and hydrate skin. Or shampoos that double as body wash, like Baby Hair & Body Wash by Original Sprout, which is suitable for children and adults. Those are free of skin penetrators, petroleum oils, DEA, colours or dyes, mineral oils and contains sulphate-free moisturizing botanicals and nourishing emollients. There’s no need to take two products if one will suffice.
- Avoid Items You Haven’t Tried – you should usually test products at least once before packing them to be sure they suit your needs or work as intended. Also, you don’t want to risk an allergic reaction with a product you haven’t tried before.
Don’t Forget These Travel Wash Bag Essentials
Aside from the items on your checklist, you may want to consider adding these travel essentials to your wash bag.
- Stain Remover – nothing can ruin a great meal on holiday like getting a stain on your favourite shirt. Many brands sell travel size stain removing wipes or sticks that you can comfortably add to your travel wash bag and carry with you when you head out for a meal.
- Eye Drops – airplane cabins tend to be extremely dry, which can irritate your eyes, making you look more tired and jet-lagged than you are. Eye drops can help you look fresh and ready to start your holiday once you arrive at your destination.
- Wet Wipes –the surfaces of transport vehicles, either airplanes or other modes of transportation, are notoriously dirty. A 2015 study by TravelMath found that hard surfaces, such as tray table surfaces had eight times more bacteria per square inch than lavatory flush buttons. Dr Charles Gerba, a microbiologist at the University of Arizona, tested airplane tray tables and found had many cold viruses, human parainfluenza viruses, norovirus, and the superbug MRSA, which causes skin infections. To avoid getting sick and spending your holiday in bed, pack antibacterial wipes to wipe down the surfaces you come in contact with to avoid infection.
- Hand Sanitiser – it’s also a good idea before your hands come into contact with your mouth or your silverware while traveling to use a hand sanitiser to avoid spreading germs. The fun, travel-friendly 29ml Hand Sanitisers by Jack N' Jill take up little space but kill 99.99% of germs, and also contain moisturising glycerin.
- Spritz – closed air-conditioned vehicles, such as airplanes or trains , can be incredibly dry places. Cabin air humidity, for example, is under 20%, compared to home humidity, which is over 30%, according to the World Health Organization. Dryness can irritate the mucous membranes leaving you more vulnerable to getting sick. A 2004 study in the Journal of Environmental Health Research found that people are 113 times more likely to catch a cold during a flight than through normal ground transmission. Products like Therapie Restore Aura Spray by Therapie Roques O'Neil can help you keep your skin hydrated and protected.
Top 5 Best Travel Wash Bags for Women
Caroline Jacobs, the founder of A Little Find, has selected some of the best travel wash bags for women on the market, which aside from being incredibly practical, are also unbelievably stylish.
- The Black Airline Toiletry Bag by LOLO Bags is a durable cosmetic case with a zip lock to keep your toiletries safely stored. The bag, which is large enough to hold your travel essentials, is also see-through, making it ideal for airline travel.
- The Blue Stripes Toiletry Bag - by LOLO Bags will get you excited for your tropical getaway with its cute flip flop beach theme. The zip top cosmetic bag, which is big enough for all your beauty essentials, is made from durable, waterproof material.
- The Marilyn Two in One - Toiletry Bag by Emma Lomax is actually two bags in one, which are held together with Velcro. Made from durable, easy-to-clean PVC, this stylish bag is airline-friendly and perfect for keeping your beauty essentials organized and separate.
- The You Are A Star - Canvas Pouch by Alphabet Bags is a handy zip storage case made from heavy-duty natural canvas. Screen printed in metallic gold, the interior features a black cotton lining. Perfect for everyday essentials, the bag will fit comfortably in your purse or backpack.
- The Lipstick - Mesh Pouch by LOLO Bags, featuring a cute cosmetic theme, is a zip top, see-through mesh bag that is perfect for carrying through airport security and tossing into your tote.
Getting organized and bringing all your beauty essentials is key to enjoying a relaxed and stress-free getaway. The best travel wash bags for women keep your cosmetics safe and dry, and also comfortably fit your toiletries. Visit A Little Find to stock up on travel size must-haves and to find a wash bag that is not only functional but also fashionable.