If you're struggling to wind down and drift off to sleep, or find staying asleep difficult, read on for some top tips on how to create a routine which is right for you.
Why do we need to sleep?
"Sleep is an essential function that allows your body and mind to recharge, leaving you refreshed and alert when you wake up. Healthy sleep also helps the body remain healthy and stave off diseases. Without enough sleep, the brain cannot function properly." - Sleep Foundation
Just like food and water, our bodies need sleep in order to function correctly, restore our energy levels and repairs cells.
Top tips for creating a healthy sleep routine:
- Give yourself time to wind down properly - rather than getting straight into bed and hoping you'll be ready to sleep. Try winding down and calming your mind without using a screen. Reading a book, having a warm bath, lightly stretching or writing to do lists to clear your mind are all good ways to calm your body and your mind ready to sleep.
- Get into a regular routine - try waking up and going to sleep at the same time each night so your body instinctively knows when to be alert and when to be calm.
- Create a nice environment for your bedroom - make your bedroom a screen-free zone so you're not exposed to blue light, keep the temperature cool and dark.
- Exercise during the day - moving your body in the day will stop you feeling less tired during the day and help improve insomnia symptoms.
Extra resources we've come across that you might find useful:
- Headspace - Down the Headspace app to have access to their sleep-based guided meditation sessions. From breathing exercises to mindful body scanning to visualisations, you'll find something that works and helps you.
- Neom Perfect Night's Sleep Pod Starter Pack - The Wellbeing Pod works at the touch of a button helping you prepare for better sleep through the 100% natural Scent to Sleep Essential Oil Blend.
- The Deliciously Ella Podcast: Why We Sleep with Matthew Walker - on this episode of the podcast, Matthew Walker, the award winning author of bestseller 'Why We Sleep' chats about sleep, getting to grips with sleep cycles, the connection between sleep and our mental and physical health, how to sleep better and why we need to make it a priority.
- Pukka Night Time Tea - This tea is a unique blend of soothing herbs to help you unwind. Naturally caffeine free, 100% organically grown and ethically sourced, this tea will help you prepare for a deep, restful sleep.