Summer is just around the corner and now is the time to start on your sun-protection game! Did you know you should be wearing UV protection all year long?
These brilliant brands have shelved the once greasy, pore-clogging formulas in favour of the next generation of super sun-care products. We're certain there'll be no excuse to not protect your skin this year!
When looking for a worthy sun care product, it is important to consider the following: experts recommend a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of at least 15 (UVB protection). SPF is a measure of how long a suntan cream will protect you from ultraviolet rays.
An SPF of 30 allows one-thirtieth (3.3%) of UVB to reach the skin, meaning it filters 96.7% of UV.
Confused? To understand this better, if unprotected skin takes 10 minutes to start burning, then properly applying SPF 30 sunscreen would slow the rate enough that it would take 30 times longer to burn, or 300 minutes in total.
What's worse, the rays that cause skin ageing and wrinkles are not the same as those that cause sunburn! UVA rays contribute to premature ageing, reduce skin-boosting collagen and they're beating down on us everyday, 12 months of the year! UVA rays are dangerous and once the damage is done, it is irreversible. They can penetrate through clouds and windows, therefore, wearing sun care with high UVA rating all year-round is a great idea.
It is also important to remember that, for many people, certain types of sunscreen can cause a skin reaction or allergy. Chemicals like oxybenzone, PABA (para-aminobenzoic acid), and cinnamates, which can negatively affect certain people.
Ideal Sun Care For You
Cosmetic Dermatologist Dr Sam Bunting says that sun screens are complex formulations and protection formulated for the body can be too aggressive for use on the face. This can cause problems for people with sensitive skin since they can clog and irritate skin, which can result in under-application - leaving skin unprotected from UV rays.
In general, when looking for sun care, focus on formulas that are suited for your skin type. The following list should help you find the right sunscreen for your skin:
- Children’s Skin — Chemicals can irritate children’s sensitive skin. PABA and oxybenzone in particular have been linked to skin reactions. Physical sunscreens like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are usually well tolerated by people with sensitive skin, as well as babies and children.
- Allergy, Acne, or Rosacea-Prone Skin — People with allergy-prone skin or conditions, such as acne or rosacea, should steer clear of products with preservatives, fragrances or alcohol, and those with PABA or oxybenzone. Physical sunscreens and those with salicylates and ecamsule are least likely to cause skin reactions. Look instead, for sunscreens marked as “non-comedogenic” these will be less oily and reduce clogged pores.
- Dry Skin — People with dry skin will benefit from suntan creams with moisturisers. Moisturising sunscreens are usually referred to as creams, lotions, or ointments, which are terms you should look for in your products.
- Melasma, Incidence of Skin Cancer, or Fair Skin — People with melasma, a history of skin cancer, or very fair skin, should wear a suntan cream with an SPF of 40 or more, which should be reapplied frequently throughout the day.
Darker Skin — People with darker skin, who tan easily, may want to avoid physical sunscreens, like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, since these will appear chalky when applied. Instead, opt for a lighter broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or more.
- Older People — Older individuals may prefer spray sunscreens since they are easier to apply in hard to reach areas. It is important that older people use a protect to delay skin aging, which can result in age spots, wrinkles, sagging, and leathery skin.
Top Tip: When looking for good facial sun screen, look for those marked as “broad-spectrum" these will protect from both types of UV rays, UVA and UVB. The SPF will tell you how well a sunscreen blocks out the sun’s dangerous UVB rays. However, a high SPF doesn’t protect you from the sun’s UVA rays.
How To Properly Apply Sunscreen
Most sunscreens have a shelf life of two to three years, always check before using it! When your risk of burning is high, cover all exposed skin thoroughly with sunscreen. Adults should use 2 teaspoons of sunscreen to cover their head, arms and neck, and 2 and a half tablespoons to cover the rest of their body.
Reapply suntan cream often, especially after towelling dry. Although some products stay on better than others, they can easily rub, sweat or wash off. Ensure you store suntan creams in a cool place, like the shade, since high heat can ruin their protective properties. Whilst you're popping the sunscreen back in the shade why not take a seat too? Occasionally getting out of the sun or wearing extra clothing is the best form of sun care after all!
A LITTLE FIND Loves...
High Protection SPF 30 Face Moisturiser by Malin+Goetz — This water-resistant face moisturiser strikes the perfect balance between hydration and protection. Delivering moisture and powerful broad-spectrum sun protection for all skin types. Whilst this easy-to-apply formula won't leave a white or chalky residue.
Organic Facial Sun Cream SPF30 by Green People — An award-winning organic facial sun cream that provides sun protection with natural filters that defend against both the UVB and UVA rays. Suitable for those prone to prickly heat flare ups, this suntan cream is rich in antioxidants from edelweiss and rosemary organic oils, as well as anti-ageing ingredients like avocado and green tea. Perfect for sipping cocktails on your lounger.
Sport SPF 30 Organic Sunscreen Spray by COOLA — More of a water-sports junkie? An organic, water and sweat resistant sunscreen spray with antioxidants like cucumber, algae, strawberry, and red raspberry seed oil for enhanced UV protection, and skin-nourishing ingredients that absorbs quickly with no greasy feel, so you can play hard without any slippery residue!
Brush on Block Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30 by Brush On Block — Off out and wanting to look your best? A dry powdered mineral based sunscreen that provides invisible sun protection. Safe for sensitive skin, it is translucent and can be worn either under or over make-up without smudging, running or resulting in greasy residue. It is paraben, PABA and phthalate free and not tested on animals.