Inspired by Chinese medicine, Katie Brindle has created Hayo’u, a ground-breaking self-treatment method which enables you to master your health. At Hayo’u, they believe that with the right knowledge and tools you can make small adjustments to your daily life. Our one-minute rituals work to reduce stress and inflammation on a daily basis by relaxing the body, enabling free-flow of circulation and assisting detoxification.
Tell us about Hayo'u and how you got started?
The brand was born of my absolute love of Chinese medicine and all that surrounds it. But how to convert that experience into a brand was no easy task. Chinese medicine is expansive and profound and at times overwhelming, not to mention the prejudice and misconceptions about what it is and how it works.
So, my idea was to start with something simple but enormously effective, something that everyone could benefit from in just one minute – and that was the jade gua sha tool. Having opened the market to the transformation possible in just one minute, we were then able to develop further tools and deepen the experience.
I am ambitious for Hayo’u and will be looking to deepen our range to enable people to treat themselves better from head to toe. The beauty market is always evolving but these ancient techniques have stood the test of time and I’m delighted to be bringing them back into our lives.
What been the biggest challenge you've faced as a brand?
Without question, it’s to navigate bringing something innovative into the market and getting that message out quickly. We introduced facial gua sha with crystals into the UK – and a lot of ‘me too’ products came piling in behind. But, when you are a small business that can’t compete with big marketing budgets, you get eclipsed. The way we deal with that is to always return to our authenticity and the higher values of our brand - which are:
- You. (Hayo’u loosely translates as ‘wellness’ in Mandarin, but it also means ‘Hey, you’!) We aim to meet the customers’ needs first. By encouraging you to use these tools and techniques that will revolutionise your skincare – and offering you the wisdom that sits behind the tools. Gua sha works from the inside out, enabling you to maximise your existing skincare routine and offer a cheaper alternative to endless beauty products.
- The integrity of our supply chain. Having spent years trawling China and looking at the destruction that unregulated mining of jade can cause, we have really strict standards in place to ensure safe and fair production practices. Everyone should be aware of and responsible for the price of their beauty.
- The environment. This is of paramount importance to me. Our tools are a one-off purchase, designed to last forever. I want to help minimise the pots and potions flooding the beauty market.
Tell us your favourite quote, mantra or best piece of advice.
There’s a great Chinese proverb - A drop of prevention is worth a bucket load of cure. It’s so true, it’s much easier to safeguard your health and wellbeing than to fix it. And it’s pertinent across both beauty and wellness.
What's been your proudest moment as a business so far?
When we won our first award within months of launching. It was so shocking given that I’d been told ‘no’ so much – I had basically experienced flat rejection across the entire beauty market. But, I persevered, knowing that this was a brilliant and simple beauty solution, and I just needed people to give it a chance and then the results would speak for themselves.
To receive that incredible endorsement and validation meant so much – and proved to be the first step into what has exploded into a beauty revolution. We are still striving to be at the front, and the next step is to work on getting body gua sha accepted into the wellbeing market. Because if you thought facial gua sha was remarkable, just wait until you see what the Body Restorer can do!
What time does your day start and what does a typical morning look like for you?
Like so many women today, I’m juggling a lot. So I rise early to ensure I can take care of myself before all the mayhem begins. I’m up around 5am, when I practise yoga and Qigong, ending with a half-hour meditation. Then I bathe using my shower minerals and spend about 10 minutes using the Hayo’u Beauty Restorer Comb all over my body and head and the Beauty Restorer on my face. By 8am I’m either on the school run or I start work. I’m sure people may think I’m mad to get up so early. But, it’s the strongest time of the day energetically, so practising at that time is extremely good for you and sets you up for the day beautifully.
What is your A LITTLE FIND?
Malin + Goetz Eucalyptus Deodorant! I love this product. It totally works and is a completely natural alternative.
What are your three favourite shops?
1. Firstly, Lulu Lemon. I spend my entire life in active wear (because I practice what I preach and so I punctuate my day with our rituals) and everything I buy has to go with my leggings!
2. Daylesford Organic, because I love what they stand for and what they are doing for humane farming and the environment.
3. And finally, a little grocers called Es Jardins de Fruitera in Ibiza. All totally organic, just out of the ground and I take my kids there and they love it.
What three things could you not live without?
Qigong, (I practice every day), walking my dogs and my work – because it’s a vocation and I’m completely obsessed with it. I don’t know what I’d be without Chinese medicine , it’s in my bones.
Which three items do you never travel without?
My Hayo’u Beauty Restorer, Alexandra Soveral Angel Balm (I swear by it!) and Colloidal Silver Magic Gel – it works on everything and is brilliant for bites and scratches. I put it on me, I put it on my kids, I put it on my pets!
Where do you love to go on holiday?
Ibiza. I work from there during the summer and hold masterclasses and retreats. I’m lucky to be able to combine being on an island that I love so much with both my kids and my job.